Thursday, April 3, 2008

Door Knockers

I was putting Patrick down for his morning nap when I got a knock at the door. I was still in my bathrob, but decided to answer anyway. Jehovah's witnesses. Hmmm. I don't know why my heart beat is faster and my blood warmer when I have to confront them. They are nice enough and never attack what I believe. Perhaps it's because I feel like I have to defend what I know to be true. For that reason it's a wonder to me that anyone already in posession of a faith would let the LDS missionaries in and become converted. But then the spirit calms my heart and reminds me of my testimony and the power of the truth. I wish I was more articulate when the JW's came to my door. I didn't want to discount what they believe but I did want to share my testimony with them so at least I would feel better about our encounter. I did politely refuse their material, but wanted to somehow do more to let them know that I was happy because of what I believe. I wanted to ask, "Do you know that Christ was born, died on the cross, and was resurrected"? I do. "Do you know that God is a loving and compassionate God"? I do. "Do you know that there is more to the second coming that what is stated in Revelations"? I do. There is another testament of Jesus Christ and it is found in the Book of Mormon. It gives me peace and hope. Hope for a better me, a better and more perfect family, the promise of things to come.

2 comments:

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

You know, I had the EXACT same thing and feelings about three weeks ago. I was just telling my husband that I wish I would of invited them back on the condition that I would listen to their beliefs if they would listen to mine! I don't know how good of an idea that would be but I thought about it after they left(and I did talk to them for a little bit) that how can we expect others to hear what we believe if we don't listen to them? I might be totally wrong with thinking that but just my weirdness I guess:)! Thanks for your comments by the way, it is really appreciated, that is such a hard subject for me to go one way or the other! The answer to your question is yes I was a CNA for 4 years in the pre-op, post-op surgery. One of the docs really like me and would pull me into surgeries to assist with him...quite an experience! I NEVER took any classes or even stepped foot in a hospital except when I was born before that! I got hired from a temp. agency who sent me there and ended up getting hired on and getting paid more than people who go to school to be a CNA! I have to say the experience was great but I don't miss it at ALL, not a big fan of the atmosphere there! (sorry for the lengthy comment:)

Mindy said...

deja vu! They must have been really busy because they came to my house too! Only, my grandma is a Jehovah's Witness so when I saw the old lady at my door, I told her my grandma was doing the same thing. I took the literature too because I knew my grandma would like that. And then, the woman asked me to read part of it. Imagine that! Yeah, so I did. I thought about the missionaries too and that maybe somehow this would open a door. I'm not sure if it will or not. I did read in that book they gave me though and realize how different our religion is in comparison. Really, I didn't know that they though God is in, through, around everything. The whole Adam and Eve thing is really different--a lot of religions vary bigtime from us on this matter. Anyways, I researched some stuff on www.mormon.org and printed it out for when they come back. They never did but I guess it was good for me to really realize what I know to be true and then prepare something for if they every want to know more about what I believe. Some of those beliefs are so ingrained in me I hardly recognize they are there most of the time until someone else believes differently. Kind of interesting. Either way, thanks for sharing your experience. I know how the heart gets a-poundin'.