Thursday, February 28, 2008

HELP!


I need to get more fruits and veggies into my own and my family's diet. My problem is that I'm tired of the same green beans, broccoli, zucchini, squash kinds of things. Also, I struggle getting veggies in anywhere but at dinner time. (Maybe I need to snack on carrots and celery more. My mom used to cut them up and keep them in water in the fridge. That would help.) Any suggestions would be simply grand! :)




Question of the day

Would you rather your child:
a) chew on a dirty sock
b) drink dirty bath water (dirty as in I just bathed them in it)
c) chew on the toilet seat on their way to a standing position
d) play with a used wipe from a dirty diaper

Then you ask yourself, "Is there one of these that I would actually pick"? Well folks, Patrick did all of them within the first two hours of being awake today. I'm so ready for this day to be over . . .

The good news is that I found Stephen's Citrus & Spice Wassail on sale and that it's sunny outside today! Therefore, I still have a smile on my face. :)

10 comments:

Beth said...

I'd pick the dirty sock, but you can't win them all.

I definitely believe in pureeing veggies into other meals, even I will eat disgusting things that way. Such as peas or lima beans. I've also discovered that snow peas or pea pods are delicious & different snacks.

Generational stitcher said...

I make stir fry, there are seasoning packets at the store if you need them, but we use peppers, onions, snow peas, water chestnuts, little corn cobs when I can find them, bamboo shoots...it's been interesting to see what kids, and hubby's eat, as we have experimented. Not that you can eat it every day, but it's something we enjoy. Also pot pie, and you can put anything you like in it, corn, carrots, peas, green beans...potatoes...or I let my kids pick what they want. Another is Stromboli. We have put all sorts of veggies in them and even the pick eaters will eat it dipped in pizza sauce. If you want me to send you a recipe, just email me. Heatherswakefield@gmail.com

adgasdg said...

Since we're vegetarian, this isn't as much an issue for us. Our meals aren't complete without at least one serving of veggies/fruit! I almost always have these things on hand to make salads: carrots, celery, lettuce (romaine or spinach), canned diced tomatoes, onions, cucumbers. Also, I stock my freezer with ready-to-heat veggies: broccoli, spinach, mixed veggies, peas, and corn. The old standby is frozen mixed veggies. Seriously, if I don't have anything else, that's what we eat on the side. Also, don't overlook fruit! I love putting fruit in green salads instead of the same old veggies.

Here's what I've planned for dinner each day for this week. (I plan it out before going to the store.) The trick is to PLAN veggies into your meals BEFORE you have to make them:

Sunday: Gnocchi with Pesto Sauce, Green Salad, Boiled Eggs
Monday: Tofu-Spinach Fritatta, Rice, Apples
Tuesday: Vegetarian Hot Dogs, Mixed Vegetables, Pears
Wednesday: Biscuits, Baked Beans, Green Beans, Applesauce
Thursday: Bean Burritoes, Applesauce, Salad
Friday: Vegetable Stew, Whole Wheat Bread, Sugar-free Jello
Saturday: Beans and Rice, Corn, Carrots

I generally only make one meal a day. Breakfast is always cereal or something easy. Lunch is leftovers from the previous day.

I love Cassie Young's blog called Veggie Meal Plans. She has a little more exotic foods than we do, but I've used some of her recipes and they're great! The website is http://www.veggiemealplans.com.

Finally, I spend a third of my grocery budget in the produce section of the store. That seems like a lot, but since we don't buy meat, that money is put towards fresh fruits and veggies.

Hope this helps!

Generational stitcher said...

Oh, and I have had days like that too where no matter what, they are eating everything disgustingly possible...and yesterday my almost 2 year threw a sharp knife at one of the other kids...yea, now doesn't that make you feel better? :)

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

You were right, I was really wondering if there was something else I could choose from:)! I need to do this more, but my friend Janell (Lee, I don't know if you remember her) fixes half of her normal serving (so like half a quesadilla or whatever they choose) and give them a serving of fruit and vegetable with it and have to eat it all before they get anything else. After doing that you usually aren't hungry anymore! Like I said though, I need to do more of it too:)!

Stephanie Ellinger said...

Hi, I'm sure that you don't know me, but its my little boy, Nathan, who was diagnosed with tetraology of fallot. (I know this comment doesn't really fit your blog posting, but I wanted you to see it.) Anyway, I was wondering if I could call you or get your email address to talk to you about your little girl and what you went through. You can email me at sellinger@utah.gov

Thanks,

Stephanie (Eric's sister-in-law)

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

Hey, a friend on my blog left a comment a few days ago. She thought she knew you and clicked on yours, but she doesn't. Anyway, she saw this post and this was her recommendation "There is a book called Deceptively Delicious. The author is Jerry Springers wife, Jessica, and it is one of the best cookbooks I have seen for using vegies in meals for children. You use pre-pureed vegies. You can go to www.amazon.com and get it. Hope this helps alittle!". Hope things are going good for you!

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

Sorry, she did tell me it was Seinfeilds not Springers...oops!

Melyssa said...

The above ideas are really good. I think one thing that really helps me get in my veggies is V8. I know some people think it is gross, but I really like it. (Only if it is ICE cold though)

Em said...

I'm gonna go with the dirty sock too... but I feel your pain! Ethan is pretty much growing out of that stage and Jake is pretty much growing into it, so I'm trying to brace myself and remember what it's like for everything they touch to go in their mouth... AGH!