Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My Christmas Gifts

Last Sunday we did our Christmas Choir program. Yes, the one that every ward choir director throughout the church worries about because they are typically responsible for the majority if not all of the time. (I've gotta tell ya that this year was a heap less stress than last year. Having been through it once before told me to not make the choir as a whole responsible for so much. This year there were more solo/small group/instrumental numbers.) One of the speakers focused a bit of their talk on Mary and I was struck by something new to me. Mary was told that she was blessed and favored among women for bearing the Son of God. Now I don't want to diminish what she did in any way, but it struck me that each of us is 'chosen' to carry and bring up the specific children that have been given to us. I was given a child with many physical challenges for my firstborn and it falls to me to bring her up in righteousness and help her gain the self confidence that she will need. I was given a sweet, easy-going, and healthy second child and my first son. Perhaps Rebekah came first to teach me patience for Patrick's "go-get-'em" mentality. Either way, I was chosen to care for these children and I was suddenly very humbled. There have been so many times in the past month that I'm overwhelmed with love for my family and feel so blessed to have them a part of my life. So I wanted to post pictures of both of them and share my gratitude.

Who couldn't love all that cute roundness? :) It's yet to be decided if his eyes or his smile will win out. For now, the hair has them both beat!

I believe that Rebekah's highlight feature will be her eyes. They are big and beautiful. Someday I'll put the color of her eyes to a vote. I'm still wondering which they are.

No comments: