Sunday, December 30, 2007

Pure Heart and Clean Hands

I love going to Church. There are some mothers who can talk in the halls for two of the three hours almost every week and they seem to do fine. I think I would drown in the sea of my own self-worry/pity if I didn't have the boost that the three meetings give me each week. Granted, some weeks are better than others and some are more one meeting than the others. Today's last two hours of the block were incredible for me. The first teacher focused on the "marvelous work and a wonder" that the Book of Mormon were. Why were they such? As he spoke and posed questions I realized how much the Book of Mormon really does speak of the Savior Jesus Christ and that what we learn about Him in that book is much more far reaching than any other book. For example, we learn that Christ is a compassionate person. We learn that there are many who are witnesses to him. We learn that he cared deeply for each of the people he ever met in an individual and personal way. He loves each of us in that way and wants so much for us to return to our Heavenly Father. I was greatly humbled.
The last hour of the block was about our quest for "clean hands and a pure heart". He mentioned that the phrase is reversed in the Book of Mormon/D&C because of the perspective of the people to which it was addressed. He spent the majority of the time in Alma 5 speaking of the "change of heart" and "having the image of God engraven upon [our] countenance[s]".
As I pondered these two messages and how they came together in my head, I remembered the teachers that I have had throughout my life that have had great impact upon either my determination to endure to the end, or my understanding of what was on the written page. Bro. Buhr (first seminary teacher in Pinetop), Bro. Sears (last seminary teacher before HS graduation), and Bro. Satterfield (Ricks College Old Testament teacher). There were many others who helped to bridge the gap between these milestones in my life. Thank you to all those who built my testimony - one piece and bit at a time. Line upon line and precept upon precept. I owe so much to you for my understanding of the gospel and my Savior. My spirit recognized what was truth in your words and grasped onto them. I have come back to visit them many times as my thoughts drifted back to the roots of my tesimony.
I'm compelled to read Alma 5 and take a serious look at where I am and where the Lord wants me to go. I'm excited for what may come of the exercise. I know that my Savior lives and that He knows me personally through His atonement. I'm grateful for the mercy that He extends to me each day as I strive to do my best and often fall short. But I hope that my constant efforts combined with the beautiful atonement may allow me to "stand spotless" before Him at the last day.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I enjoyed your post, I always hate when my kids are sick and one of us stays home, i usually make my husband stay home so i can go to church. It's definately a booster. I loved Bro. Buhr in seminary he taught me so much. I was just wondering what year did you move away?