
I heard 40 minutes ago that Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley passed away tonight @ 7 p.m. I was a little surprised, but honestly my first thought was a humble and thoughtful "Wow". I've been listening to the radio as they tribute the prophet and am most touched with the thought that he is with his wife again. What a happy reunion! Can you imagine the weight of responsibility that has been taken from his shoulders? I often wondered if he ever even felt it as a weight? It seemed that serving the Lord was pure joy to him. I'm striving to be like that. The best part about this whole incident is that although we've lost an incredibly humorous, lovable, and chosen man of God - The church is still true and the work of the Lord will continue onward without a glitch. I know Pres. Hinckley was called of God, but I also know that he has now been called home with open arms awaiting him. I know that the man who preceeds him will also have the mantle of prophet placed upon him and that he will be ordained of God. I'm so excited for this time and for the wonder that it brings!
If you'll endulge me, I wanted to share some experiences with you. I sang for Pres. Hinckley (choral setting) at least 3 times. I saw him in person as he walked by me within 2-3 feet. I wish I could have shaken his hand. But the impression that it left on me was just as memorable as if he had. I believe that that day was the happiest I have ever been in my life. I knew who I was that day. I felt completely myself as I served the Lord and I knew that I was doing as I should. What a marvelous feeling!! I have been so blessed to have had these experiences! I know that for many their closest contact with a prophet of the church is through a TV screen or projector at conference time. I am so humbled by my opportunities and blessings! I only hope that I can live worthily that I might have more throughout my life. I thank the Lord for my testimony of latter-day prophets and that it leads me to trust in the leaders he has ordained.
7 comments:
You couldn't be in the same room, even at General Conference and not feel the strength and love that radiated from Pres. Hinckley.
I agree he must have been so happy to be reunited with his wife!
Rachael, I LOVE hearing (reading:) your testimony, I LOVE that you point out it seemed that he served with pure joy. I have been thinking about that alot lately. We should be happy serving, isn't that why we are here to learn to be like JESUS who's entire life was service! You are such a strength and I am so Grateful to come in touch with you again!! Your a beautiful person in and out and always have been:)! Thanks for sharing!!
How cool that you got to sing for him. To me, that's the greatest honor ever.
I have also had the opportunity to be in the same room a few times with him. He was at my husband's graduation last April and no one knew he would be coming. It was a great honor to have him there. I also used to work at BYU catering and I've also had the opportunity to stand right next to him as I served him his food. He never said a word to me, but just being in the same room in such close vicinity to him you can feel his spirit. I love his humor as well. He was just making everyone laugh at the table. I have also been blessed by these experiences.
What a sweet testimony, it's hard not to miss him and the sweet spirit which he had, but like you said to know he will be welcomed home with open arms from his wife, and many others puts a smile on my face. He has accomplished so much on this earth and for that we are very grateful!
Rachel,
I wanted to thank you for your comments on my blog about baby Nathan and that your daughter also had the Tetrology of Fallot like he now has. I couldn't see how to contact you from your blog but thought that I would start here. If you want to e-mail Sheena your phone number which she can forward to me so that I could contact you that would be wonderful. I have called them several times to get your phone number but forget by the end of the conversation. I think that you could share with us from your experiences that might help my son, Jakob and his wife Stephanie. It has been so overwhelming for them but I think that they are starting to adjust.
I also wanted to mention how fun it was to go through your blog. I hope you don't mind. As I told Sheena, Elder Russell M. Ballard, encouraged students at the BYU Hawaii commencement to share their testimonies of the truthfulness of the church, etc. on their blogs so that others might read them and be edified. That is how I felt with your testimony of President Gordon B. Hinckley. I love to see the strength of the testimonies of all of you young people. It was fun to read about your feelings of the prophet, then a few blogs down to read of "Diaper Row". You seem very balanced in your life with the spiritual and the humerous, like our dear prophet. Thank you for your interest in our situation with Nathan. I hope to contact you. Sorry I used up so much comment space.
Post a Comment